Massachusetts Sports Betting - How to Bet Online
Sports betting is now officially live in Massachusetts!
On January 31, 2023, the Massachusetts Gaming Commission launched legal retail sportsbooks for betting on sports in person. The next step is the launch of online sports betting apps, which are currently expected to go live on March 10, 2023.
Massachusetts joined Maine and Kansas as the third state to legalize sports betting in 2022, making it the 36th state in the US to do so since the Supreme Court's legalization of sports betting in 2018.
If you're looking to get in on the action, we've got you covered with everything you need to know about where to place your bets in person at retail sportsbooks in Massachusetts and which online sports betting apps are set to launch now that the industry is up and running in the state.
Sports Betting Law in Massachusetts
Massachusetts bill H.5164 includes the following key features:
- A 20% tax rate for online sports betting and a 15% tax rate for retail;
- A ban on in-state college teams (except when they are playing in tournaments);
- Casinos and racetracks receive sports betting licenses;
- Authorizes 15 online sports betting licenses: seven available by competitive bid, and eight tied to a land-based partner (casino or racetrack);
- No advertising ban, but credit card deposits for funding accounts will be prohibited.
Massachusetts Online Sports Betting FAQs
A list of frequently asked questions about Sports Wagering in Massachusetts can be found on the Massachusetts Gaming Commision website.
Is sports betting legal in Massachusetts?
The Massachusetts Gaming Commission launched legal sports betting in Massachusetts at retail sportsbooks at 10 am ET on Jan. 31, 2023. Online sports betting apps are tentatively expected to launch on March 10, 2023
How old do you need to be to bet in Massachusetts?
The minimum age for online sports betting in Massachusetts is 21.
MassachusettsTeams You Can Bet On
New England Patriots
Boston Red Sox
Which Sports Can You Bet On in Massachusetts?