Ohio sports betting is set to launch Jan. 1, 2023, at 12:01 am, a universal launch date that includes online and retail betting. The date was announced by the Ohio Casino Control Commission (OCCC) in June, with the official launch time set in August. House Bill 29 designates that date as the deadline for the OCCC to launch sports betting in the state.
The bill, which took effect March 23, 2022, allows sports gaming through licensed operators of online sportsbooks and brick-and-mortar establishments. The bill sets a comprehensive licensing and regulatory framework under the jurisdiction and rulemaking authority of the Commission. The bill also creates the Ohio sports gaming lottery, operated by the Ohio Lottery Commission through terminals at certain liquor permit establishments.
Online Sportbooks in Ohio
Ohio Online Sports Betting FAQs
A list of current Ohio sports gaming proprietors, service providers, and supplier applicants or licensees is available on the Sports Gaming Licensing page on the Ohio Casino Control Commission website.
Is sports betting legal in Ohio?
Online sport betting is legal on January 1st, 2023 according to the OCCC
How old do you need to be to bet in Ohio?
The minimum age for online sports betting in Ohio is 21.
Where can I bet on sports in Ohio?
After January 1st, 2023 almost anyone over 21 can bet online, in casinos, at racetracks, and at major sporting venues.
Recent Ohio Sports Wagering News & Updates
- December 21, 2022 – The OCCC announced 16 mobile sportsbooks and 12 retail sportsbooks will be ready to launch on Jan. 1.
- November 16, 2022 — Four online sportsbooks were approved by the Ohio Casino Control Commission alongside two retail locations. Fanatics, Betr, BetParx and Gamewise were granted mobile licenses. Nationwide Arena and Progressive Field were given retail betting licenses. This follows the approval of five sportsbooks the week before: BetMGM, DraftKings, Hard Rock, Tipico and BetRivers.
- October 3, 2022 – Five sportsbooks are up for licensure at Wednesday’s Ohio Casino Control Commission meeting: bet365, Betfred, Caesars, PointsBet and SuperBook.
- September 21, 2022 – All 10 proprietor applications were approved at Thursday’s Ohio Casino Control Commission meeting. Another 311 Type C host applications for kiosks at lottery retailers were approved as well.
- September 20, 2022 – There are 10 sports gaming proprietors up for licensure at the Sept. 21 Ohio Casino Control Commission meeting.
- September 7, 2022 – The first eight approved sports gaming proprietors at the Ohio Casino Control Commission meeting. Applicants who do not have all of their paperwork submitted by Oct. 5 will not be considered for a Jan. 1 launch, Executive Director Matt Schuler said.
- September 6, 2022 – Ten sports gaming proprietors will be up for licensure by the Ohio Casino Control Commission at Wednesday’s meeting.
Ohio Teams You Can Bet On
Columbus Blue Jackets
Ohio State Buckeyes
Which Sports Can You Bet On in Ohio?